Friday, November 5, 2010

The Silent Stalker - Update

I finished the first draft in a grand flurry, sometime between midnight and one A.M. this Tuesday. The complete manuscript turned out to be just over 80,000 words, which is perfect, since I was saying from the beginning that it would range from 75 - 80,000 words.

The Manuscript's Current Condition

I put the most thought into the ending, out of any part of the book. The original ending I had planned, turned out being inconsistent under a careful examination. Since that is a pet peeve of mine, that wouldn't do! The end result - my new favorite piece of literature of anything I have ever written! Even though I was still recovering from the flu, the following day was still the best day of the week.

Right now, comprising the second draft, I have a list of things I need to research, implement, or change. For example, during the writing of the book, several character traits emerged on their own, and I need to go and integrate them into the first half of the manuscript as well. Also, I have a list of scenes that need to be changed. For a first draft, I'm pleasantly surprised, but that doesn't mean it doesn't still need a fair amount of work.

The second draft will be MUCH quicker than usual - several times quicker than the one I did for Vengeance, which added almost 50,000 words to it's completed word count. I expect to make good headway on it, and be done in a matter of weeks. Then, I promise, I will finish Vengeance.

No comments:

Post a Comment